A New Identity of a Fashion Researcher by Professor McQuillan: Stream VOD from the Symposium Distorted Identities/ New Dilemmas on March 16, 2021
by Vésma Kontere McQuillan
March 19, 2021
A talk "Navigating Politics of The Front Row and Academia: A new Identity of a Fashion Researcher" by Vésma Kontere McQuillan within Symposium Distorted Identities/ New Dilemmas on March 16, 2021, at Kristiania University College, Oslo.
The talk presents the inside of the process of work on the book Fashion Spaces/ A Theoretical View which sets out to define fashion spaces as an emerging area of research within architectural writing.
The lecture offers insights both into the process of using architectural writing as a method in fashion research, and the attempt of looking for innovative ways of publishing academic findings.
The conceptualization of fashion spaces is based on two essential components: the physical presence, which is transformed via ephemeral architecture, and imagined space(metaspace) which is enabled by digitalization and enhanced vis interaction with social media and digital publishing. ( McQuillan, Hansen, 2021)
- Brannon, Evelyn L. and Lorynn Divita. Fashion Forecasting, 4th ed. New York: Fairchild Book, 2015
- Black, Sandy and Amy de la Haye, Joanne Entwistle, Agnes Rocamora, Regina A. Root, Helen Thomas. The Handbook of Fashion Studies. London, New York: Bloomsbury, 2013
- Edward, Tim. Fashion in Focus: Concepts, Practices and Politics. Abington, Oxon: Routledge, 2011.
- Klingman, Anna. Brandscapes: Architecture in Experience Economy. Cambrige, Mass: The MIT Press, 2007
- McQuillan, Vésma Kontere. Arhitektūra kā mēdijs vai Kāpēc arhitekti pirka Pradas kurpes. In Deko, #3, 2010
- McQuillan, Vésma Kontere. Fashion Spaces: A Theoretical View. Amsterdam, Frame, 2020
Credits and Thanks
- Bleed, an Oslo-based design agency and a graphic designer Jana Papiernikova, Norway.
- Frame Publishers and our project production leader Ana Martins, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- Hansen, Kjeld, my co-author of Fashion Spaces: A Theoretical View, Oslo, Norway.
- Hvesser, Nichlas, @nichlas_hvesser, an Oslo- based interior architect, Oslo, Norway.
- Editorial board of www.nofilter.space : Christine Kalvik, Nicoline Lyche, Jocelyne Rashidi and Ubachi Thorsen Nwosu.
- Kanarecki, Edward @designandculturebyed, a Poznan-based collage artist, author of www.designandculturebyed.com and art history student at Adam Mickiewicz University, Poland.
- Loewe, a Madrid- based fashion house, Spain.
- OMA/AMO, a Rotterdam- based architectural practice and Ippolito Laparelli Pestellini , Netherland.
- Prada, a Milan-based fashion house, and my press contact Carmine Spena, Italy.
- Rozenfelds, Gatis, a Riga- based photographer, Latvia.
- Scenario Interiørarkitekter, an Oslo-based interior architect practice, Norway.
- Team of Fashion Spaces/ The Pioneers: Maren Bjelland, Mareike de Boer, Katharina Brinkmann, Ingrid Herstad, Vilde Aurora Johannessen, Daniel Jørgensen, Maren Bardine Lindseth, Elise Aurora Kjæran Pedersen, Iiro Piipponen, Tina Therese Rustadstuen, Dawt Tha Tawk, Martin Marthinius Tyri.
- Vågenes, June, an Oslo- based graphic and retail designer, Norway.
- Westerdals Institute for Creativity, Storytelling and Design, Kristiania University College , Oslo and the Institute Leader Ørjan Skyrud, Norway.
- Zimmermann, Rainer and Philipp Teufel, and their students, a Düsseldorf-based Retail Design Program at HSD, Germany.